PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreaming of flying a jet (specially to you older guys!)
Old 16th Jan 2013, 21:21
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This message was more towards those here, who suddenly from clear lighting have decided to become a pilot, not knowing what it really is about!

I did do my research very well, and I was very well aware of what I was getting myself into. However, and I have met many pilots already, who are in the job, and for them it is just that, a job, nothing more, nothing less!

One guy I knew, his wife was having a baby, and the company did not want to give him days off so he could help take care of his wife and his daughter during the birth period and weeks after, he decided that was enough, and left the company without any notice!
This was a guy with over 10.000 hours on various aircraft!

Furthermore I have met several both first officers and captains, who you could see was clearly tired, but this was their life, but it had taken a heavy price on their lives and specially they relationships!

In this day and age, surely I was extremely motivated, and for sure I knew I was NOT doing it for the money! For me to get such a job at my age, is extremely rare, and this is not the issue - it is the total package you let yourself into, if you decide to leave a good career, as you would have to have had a good career - to be able to afford the training - you might discover that it maybe does not stimulate the brain as much as you wish it did!

As I have said, I will give it a go, and see where it leads me - I know of guys who was miserable, and as soon as they got homebase etc. suddenly it was the best job in the world!

Also if you have the money to do the training, most likely from hard work in the past, you have learned who to appreciate the value of money, but you see clearly you are not appreciated for the work you do!
This amongst a mixture of things, devalues the job, and it makes it even more frustrating when you see there are idiots prepared to P2F - for this, just to think they will get a foot up the foodchain!

As I said, I am one of the lucky ones, no debts, nothing to really loose - after working so hard against this, it does feel like an anti-climax - be careful for what you wish for, it might not be what you thought it was!

No amount of research in advance, can prepare you for the real thing - believe me - I have been connected to aviation since I was 17 years old, and had my first flying lesson!

Maybe I am just exhausted after TR, line training and constant checking and questions for the last probably 5 - 6 months!