PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2013, 20:03
Danny42C

Nervous SLF,

Thanks for the very nice pic. It looks quite a roomy arrangement, doesn't it, and with Geriaviator's wheel brakes would make the Tiger wellnigh perfect.

Two things caught my eye: on the left front strut there seems to be the quadrant for the old spring flap ASI (but the Tiger in front must have a more civilised one). And the crash truck over by the hangar is yellow, not red. Were they that colour in Canada ? (if the thing on top of the cab is not a foam monitor, what is it ?.............D

Chugalug,

I'd never heard of the Thruxton Jackaroo - at first I thought we were talking about the Fox Moth of the early '30s. (Long ago on this Thread, fredjhh and I were trading memories of the one on Ainsdale Beach ). This second stab at the idea of a 'cabin' Tiger, using every bit of a Tiger ("except the squeal"), looks better than the first, I must say. Happy Days they surely were !......D.

thing,

There is no such thing as a comfortable pilot seat in any military aircraft - at least as far as the one-man-band operators are concerned. As for the four-in-handers, I imagine they recline in their club armchairs, reading the Times while second dickey watches autopilot and calls for coffee and biscuits as and when instructed ('ware incoming ..... Chugalug ?) ...... And many thanks for the very kind words........D.

Geraviator,

Thanks for the description of the Jackaroo. Pic (on Wiki) looks very civilised. At least they had some forward vision, whereas the Fox Moth had a sort of four-seat Sedan chair set-in where the cockpits had been, with the pilot stuck up behind on top like a Hansom-cab driver.

"Only" 90 mph cruise ? My memory of Tigers is that the magic figure was 55 knots (65 mph). You used that for everything, take off, flying around and coming in to land

Your Tubby Dash sounds a character. They don't make 'em like that any more - more's the pity..........D.

Cheerio, everyone,

Danny.