PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Army Aviation Corps
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2013, 19:45
Andu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it simply a case that the ADF has not engaged with CASA recently
CW, that's a complaint about as old as the oldest contributor here. I can recall attending a lecture back in the 60s where the lecturer, a RAAF officer then in charge of production of RAAF let down plates and charts, (back then, on Hercs at least, we all carried two sets of plates, RAAF and Civil AIP plates), told us of his frustration dealing with (what was then called) DCA (today's CASA).

We'd asked why in the world the two agencies couldn't save the taxpayer a shed load of money by producing common enroute charts and let down plates. He said that the RAAF had been trying for years, but met with utter intransigence at every step from their opposite numbers at DCA - (who, almost to a man, were ex-RAAF with major chips on their shoulders, possibly because they were ex-RAAF).

I have to say that at the time, we thought that, for the common good and the potential savings that were to be made, the RAAF bloke should have persevered rather than throw his hands in the air and give up. However, after later personal "interaction" with the then DCA, (which just about everybody, and not just the RAAF, then "fondly" referred to as "the Gestapo"), I came to the conclusion that even a saint would have given up dealing with them.

I understand that it was a very similar situation when the military apprentice and trade schools first tried to get civil accreditation for their graduates. Although I'm pleased to learn that quite a bit of progress has been made in that area, as it damn well should be.