PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you given up?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2013, 19:34
PapaEchoNovember

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@angelorange

Where are European pilots supposed to get this hands on flying experience to get from 200/250hrs to >700hrs/1500hrs, if they aren't from the military elite or hard core instructors.

SPA ops are few and far between and instructing isn't financially viable, (and not everyone whats to be an instructor, which creates the nasty cycle of generating uninterested hour building instructor and poor quality students). Amassing this many hours might be achievable in USA but not in Europe.

And just because one has tens of thousands of hours of experience doesn't make completely them infallible, complacency? etc.

Look at today's tragic heli incident in London, and there are numerous other incidents I could use to counter your argument.

Personally I'm not convinced that 1) having hundreds of VFR flying hours makes a line pilot safer and 2) (above, say 250 hours) Number of flying hours increases safety proportionally. Its much more complex and there are a much larger number of variables to consider, such as currency, aptitude and knowledge. Experience doesn't always necessarily equate to ability or competence

Above all the number one priority is flight safety, without compromise (this should go without saying) and as an (f)ATPL and prospective FO I would like to think that, if the s**t hit the fan, I would go as far as putting my life on the line for passengers, if required.

Solutions? More demanding aptitude tests, more upset recovery and manual handling on the TR or during sim checks, or making an initial TR course more demanding.

Not all low hour (f)atpl's are Kamikaze, I believe EASA understand the situation in the EU is very different to FAA/USA, (where there are many more options) and this is why the regulations haven't changed. And with the greatest of respect, I hope your wrong.

By the way, could you please quote where the CAA have stated JOC will be required in the future?