PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter - v - crane LONDON
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2013, 17:17
ika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A sad day but don't let journalists get you worked up

The media and journalists will always say something for a story and there is nothing one can do to stop what is a sad fact of life. Some will be responsible and find someone who actually knows what they are talking about but anyone who does will say very little at this point and as it won't be "newsworthy" speculation, most journalists will be under time or other pressure to find someone who will say something. With twitter now routinely quoted as a news source (why?!) this will only ever get worse. I say this as someone who has been quoted in the media in my own day job and seen utter rubbish said by other supposed experts. As a non professional pilot with a helicopter, I have had several people ask me if I knew anything about this (why would I, just because I happen to have a helicopter?) and I have said in a measured way no but it's unfortunate and it would be good if people didn't rush to want to say something, resisting the temptation myself to make my own comments about vis or NOTAMS or twin engine IMC etc in case that is somehow taken as authoritative and passed on as "well a pilot said...".

So the point of what I'm saying is something tragic happened to someone who by all accounts was a good man, lots of people will publish stuff that will wind you up (I was pleased to see not a lot said here fell into that category (yet?)) and the best those who care can do is not rise! Having a professional spokesman for the industry might help a bit, but you can't force media looking for a sensational story to talk to someone who won't give them one.