PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Millionaire helicopter pilots to ferry emergency services...
Old 16th Jan 2013, 12:31
Al-bert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel deja vu just isn't what it used to be!

This whole debate reminds me of my first time as a member (RAF rep) on the North Wales Mountain Rescue Committee (NWMRC). There were some comfortably off (NB not rich!) chaps in the Clwyd area who did a bit of skiing together and had the odd parachute jump under their belts too. Because one winter a few cars got snowed in crossing the moors, nothing serious, no-one died, this 'band of brothers' applied to the MRC for membership, their scenario being that if this happened again they could be air dropped, with skis, by RAF Hercules in order to render assistance (I presume to tuck in blankets, refill flasks, that sort of thing). Of course they would require an officially approved RESCUE badge for their jump suits! Naturally, there was much mirth and they were turned down by the guys with beards and big boots.
Fast forward fifteen or so years and I was once again on the NWMRC. The paraski group had revised its plans ie. no skis or parachutes and were applying for membership once again, this time under a new name and with more modest modus operandi. The stumbling block now, which occupied the hour before I nodded off, the design of the badge!

Last edited by Al-bert; 16th Jan 2013 at 14:59.