PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter - v - crane LONDON
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2013, 10:15
chopperchappie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HeliStudent

You'd have to ask an ATC what they can see on radar but in my experience within the zone you'd normally be talking to Heathrow zone (and receiving a ATC SVFR radar service) the ATC require/ask opposing aircraft to be visual and/or talk to Battersea to co-ordinate with inbound/outbound Battersea aircraft.

Apparently it's now being reported that NATS say the aircraft was eastbound and had been receiving a NATS service but wasn't at the time of the incident.

Again in my humble experience - on that route heading for Isle of Dogs - I would expect to remain in contact with Heathrow zone and receive a basic service. I would also expect advice about other traffic in the vicinity BUT I have never received NOTAM data whilst flying over London from ATC.

As the end of the zone is very very close to the site of the incident (from what I know based on reports where the building is - it's just inside the zone) it seems also somewhat academic - although technically correct - IF the aircraft was coming into Battersea and again I dont want to speculate and pre-empt AAIB, but having heard that the aircraft had requested a divert to Battersea it's normal that NATS would have handed the aircraft to Battersea - therefore the aircraft should have been in receipt of an ATC/AG service albeit possibly not from NATS - some might say that statement was a bit incomplete!

What is clear is that the sensationalism of the media is what fuels irrational and knee-jerk reactions and speculation prior to an AAIB report is always premature !

Last edited by chopperchappie; 16th Jan 2013 at 11:31.