PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rough reception at Popham!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2013, 09:21
crt86t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not usually get involved with petty squabbles on these forums but as it has been brought to my attention I will give the Popham side of this saga. This is the only post you will get.
As the main radio operator I always make every effort to answer all aircraft fairly and promptly even when we are really busy. I fully agree that an A/G cannot “control” anything (even though Farnborough, Lasham, and Solent Radar still refer to us as ATC).
I will attempt to deal with some FACTS for the initial posting.
On Sunday 13th January Popham had steady traffic all day and the radio was in constant use. I had been working since 08:30 and answered various calls for PPR and had been actively discouraging any visiting aircraft due to the soft and muddy runway conditions. There was no telephone PPR call from this pilot or he would have been told this. In itself this was not a problem as Popham is only PPR for non-radio aircraft.
There were two aircraft in the circuit that had called earlier some way to the north, a Pietenpol and a Sky Ranger (registrations available if you wish to ask). The first call from the aircraft in question was “OL base for 03” (N.B. no full call sign). I radioed the aircraft to see if I had perhaps missed an earlier call to get the full call sign and was then given it without question. The aircraft (now observed for the first time as a KitFox) then cut directly in front of the Pietenpol already on the correct final for R03. As I fly a Pietenpol myself I am aware that the P1 view from the back cockpit of a Pietenpol is limited on finals so I radioed that the KitFox had cut in and the Pietenpol replied that he could manage the approach and landed safely behind the KitFox. At no time was any “slanging off” done by myself to the KitFox on the radio.
An A/G operator can make any calls they like in the interests of safety.
The following conversation took place at the desk (NOT on the radio).
When the pilot came to book in I asked him in a normal tone if he had a problem with his radio due to his sole short call on base leg. He replied that had had called at Chilbolton and as he received no reply had continued inbound. I pointed out in a normal tone that he had cut into the circuit in front of the Pietenpol whereupon he got quite aggressive and sarcastically asked if I was giving” Radar Vectors” as well. (Note: If I had been he would have been on a proper final like everyone else!). Whilst there is no basic problem with joining on a base leg, if he had not received a response from me at Chilbolton he should possibly have joined overhead and followed the other aircraft already in the circuit. He said he had seen the Pietenpol on finals but did not consider it a problem. I was then called “rude” and I said I would “agree to differ with him” and it was left at that. All the time this conversation was going on I was still working the radio.
Speaking afterwards to both the Pietenpol pilot and the Sky Ranger pilots, they both stated that they had been monitoring the traffic from some way out and neither had heard any call from the KitFox until the base call. Only the KitFox pilot would know if he had actually made calls and received no answer.
Quote: “A CAA R/T Examiner with just short of 10,000 hours in various disciplines” should really query the airmanship of making an incorrect radio call (only gave his short call sign) and joining short left base in front of an aircraft already on finals. The pilot was NEVER “Roasted” by me, simply initially queried about his radio possibly not functioning, and did not have to be so objectionable when checking in and then posting an exaggerated tale on these forums, trying to give Popham a bad name.
I stand by my actions in these circumstances and welcome anyone to sit with me on the radio, listening to calls of extremely variable quality, at Popham when we are busy and see how a simple A/G operator has to manage a “Crystal Ball” to sometimes divine what is going on from the only “Tower” in England that is below the level of the runway!