PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another 787 Fuel Leak
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2013, 01:13
Squawk-7600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sigh

Dozy I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time, however what goes around comes around.

This was what was said

It may not be relevant to this case, but as a former pilot I can remember sometimes getting slightly confused with the complexities of valve operation during some refuelling operations on various airliners. (Do I hear sniggers from former F/Es?) Although 2-pilot aircraft have automatic fuel distribution during refuelling, there are times when adjustments have to be made. These may involve using defuelling valves and tank pumps to shunt the fuel around. And then there have been occasions when crews have tried to squeeze a bit of extra fuel in by one means or another, when range is being pushed to the limit...
Having been through that myself I can empathise. However, once again, I was simply pointing out that the latest generation of aircraft are NOT normally refuelled like that anymore. Instead of operator error, the most likely scenario was a failure of either a valve or its controller. Low and behold this statement was subsequently made

... the reason for the BOS fuel spill was an uncommanded activation of a fuel transfer valve which allowed fuel pumped from a "belly" tank (I thought Boeing called them "center" tanks) to overfill a wing tank.
I'm sorry if I have dented any egos in how the operation of contemporary aircraft may have changed in respect to how we used to do things. However I did not appreciate the oblique swipe regarding taking off with trapped fuel. For that member's information, on the particular aircraft I was referring to "shunting fuel around" is very much an engineering function and I have never witnessed a flight delayed as a result of requiring trapped fuel to be repositioned by the engineers.

Now, maybe we can get back on topic?