PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New SOs support
Thread: New SOs support
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2013, 23:33
Captain Dart

Location: with the other ex-CX pond scum (a zoologist was once head of Flight Ops)
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Here's some 'support' for you fellows: by accepting these conditions you are undercutting current employees and as sure as night follows day, the pressure will be on the rest of us to be dragged to your level.

I can see it coming: 'pay to fly'. And then, even those who have accepted the current offer will start squealing. Rapacious airlines preying on an endless supply of starry-eyed dreamers.

And I can assure you, it is dreaming. The career is finished. You may wear a white shirt, but it is now a 'blue collar' job. Inadequate salaries and bonds...erm...'forgiveable loans' keeping employees like medieval serfs, who will only work harder, longer and for less as their careers 'progress'. Crappy hotels and aggressive management. And I won't get started on living in Hong Kong for an expat on an inferior package.

And when your 'loan' is paid off, you had better do well in the notorious CX checking system during your upgrade to F/O with a recognized rating, as you will be considered expendable having paid off your loan or, if you are lucky, extended or retained as a permanent S/O. You are just a seat warmer. Also, CX can always advertise for Direct Entry First Officers should the need arise. I am already hearing some interesting stories from some ultra long haul colleagues about the ability, maturity, demeanour and attitude of some of the 'iKids', and these people are not exactly endearing themselves to their seniors.

Another 'gotcha' may be double Second Officer crewing for ultra long haul. Some airlines have this already, and CX management would be salivating over the costs that could be saved. This would be seriously detrimental to already slow career progress.

From my quarter century in airlines, much of it in CX, I can assure you from past trends that continual erosion of your salary and benefits will occur, because of bonus-driven incentives for managers to cut costs, and that there will always be someone who will do your job for less.

No, there won't be any 'expat lifestyle'...while there are individuals who accept conditions like these.

Last edited by Captain Dart; 16th Jan 2013 at 05:25.