PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am want to become an airline pilot (Read me if you're 15 years old)
Old 15th Jan 2013, 21:48
rleungz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I am amazed at the replies I have got from this thread. My intention was not to discourage young people of their dream of becoming an airline pilot but to explain my view at 23 years old.

As in my life, I also have goals/dreams and to achieve them I always have steps. I guess for my airline pilot dream I am in step 2 (degree tick, job tick). As most of the replies on here, I am not planning to spend my whole life in consultancy, I do plan on either becoming a pilot or gaining a PhD.

My plan is to work for a couple of years while going modular. I am currently reading all the information on Modular training and seems the best option with the least risk. Though, usual problems with competing with integrated graduates but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

In terms of university, I know there is a split view among the PPRUNEs but I would advise for young ones to go. However, they need to drive to stay focus and gain a well-paid job (banking, accounting or a consultancy). University opens doors to people, into industries were they paid graduates generous starting salaries that one might not get if they did not go to university.

I guess the best way to look at it is, go to university for access to a high paid job/career so you can pay for your training. Plus, university and the endless job search will help you gain experience in interviews, assessment centres and app/CVs.

P.S. University is not an easy ride as well ( most of my friends are still unemployed.