PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Millionaire helicopter pilots to ferry emergency services...
Old 15th Jan 2013, 21:23
One35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, it looks like we've reached an impasse here. I'm guessing that unless an external body (CAA, FBU...) stop the trial, it will go ahead as planned in March (?) this year. With that in mind, how about a few pointers from those of us who do this sort of thing for a living to make the scene and the airspace above it as safe as we can?

I'll kick off with:

Approaching scene - We have an air desk that liaises with ARCCK, HMCG and the local police ASU. They give us a heads up if other assets are expected on scene. If the fire service are unable to do this for you, blind calls on 123.1 may be worthwhile.

Landing Site Selection - Consider any other aircraft that may be arriving on-scene after you. It'll make sense to drop the fire teams at the site closest to the incident with the best access but if you can then relocate to free the spot for HEMS or SAR then we would be grateful.

Roads - Remember that both carriageways must be shut prior to landing; not just the one you are approaching. The rules state that it must be closed by either the police or highways agency and that you must be able to confirm the closure. If you don't have a TETRA fit in the aircraft, the fire service should be able to relay this info to you from scene although it may take a little longer. The process at rural, remote roads is a little more relaxed but of course comes down to the commanders judgement once overhead scene.

If any / all of this is obvious and I'm teaching granny to suck eggs then great, no harm done, but please take it in the spirit that its meant. The incidents that JP will be attending are our office and we want that office to be safe and run smoothly.

Anyone else got anything?

Cheers,