PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French Air Strikes Over Mali
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2013, 20:56
Andu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ethnic Kuwaitis get one.
Nearly choked on my wheaties (before I saw the qualification) on that one. A not too long ago Brit ex-ambassador to KSA made a rather memorable (and refreshingly non-PC) comment about Saudis and their lovely country that anyone with any experience of the Kuwaitis would say also applies to them - times two.

I really can't see that the West can keep sending (always too small, and always too late) "fire brigades" to quell the ever-growing number of political spot fires (set, almost always by the same AQ mob, it would seem) ad infinitium.

For one, we (the West) are broke, (even if too many of our citizens, particularly those with their hands out for endless government-supplied 'free stuff', haven't accepted that yet), and secondly, (particularly, but not only, those very same people with their hands out for 'free stuff') are tiring of their governments spending borrowed money to fix these many spot fires.

Imagine if WW2 had been fought the way we're dealing with this serious threat (for threat it is) to our society and way of life? It would still be going on today. The people we're (only 'semi') fighting respect only one thing - overwhelming strength. Until that is shown to them - and more importantly, to the men who are bankrolling them**, and in no uncertain terms, the ratchet is just going to go on tightening more and more.

** I for one think that the people in power in the West know exactly who those men are, but are unwilling to confront them.

I find myself almost expecting to see Barak Obama stepping off Air Force One waving a piece of paper declaring "peace in our time".