PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The New State Pension System
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2013, 10:04
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melchett,

Or maybe a total subjugation of the population through financial dependency on the government is what the political classes are after.
I wouldn't disagree out of hand with that; if the demands placed upon AFPS and other state defined benefit schemes become less and less, and if the slack is going to be taken over by the state, then we are all going to become dependent more and more on the state, directly.

So, in preparation for the future and the likely chance of the government screwing me over on the tax and pensions front, I am doing everything I can to actively avoid having to rely on taxable income streams in retirement. ISAs, for now until they move the goal posts, would seem to be the only realistic solution for the average man in the street as they are by and large understandable and importantly provide an income stream that doesn't appear on any tax returns and isn't considered for any other payments, benefits or credits.
An ISA absolutely, yes. But not dismissing out of hand either, the potential downsides of other wrappers such as pensions, on/offshore Bonds etc just in case the state moves the goalposts. The thing to remember is that the state has been 'tinkering' as long as anyone can remember. All things in moderation, all things in proportion. An financial plan should be like a battle-group.. with good allround defence and a good offensive capability.

As to Question Time, I think I have tickets for the show this Thursday in Lincoln. Look out for the grumpy old man.