PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THS Jackscrew design
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2013, 06:10
David36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Dozy, your wrong. Read the report. The threads were becoming more and more stripped. So when the pilots trimmed for an altitude, it would hold, then give...then they needed to retrim for the next place that held...this went on and on and on, until such time trim wouldn't cover the problem, then slop in the tail became so great and where it would hold at a weakened thread, then give, then hold, then give, until there wasn't any threads in which to hold, thus loosing control.
I'm sorry, where did you find such detailed reports to prove that pilots have made such exageratted attempts until all the threads wore out?

In all reports I found there are no detailed actions to prove this. I think everyone agrees that they would have to land soon, but it makes me think that the system gave it because then no longer have what to keep it in place, not as they would have spent time on it to totally wear it out. As someone here pointed, It wasn't a gradual thing, it was stuck - literally held in place by a sliver of metal. Once that went there was nothing they could do.

What if an aircraft lost good data from sensors, and cycled elevator and THS automatically, to twelve degrees pitch down, at the same time disallowing manual override?
Uncontrollable. Loss of Control. Program Error.
Those computers do not have a shutdown button?

the jackscrew assembly failed and due to either inadequate or non existent limit stops, the horizontal tail went well past limits,
In my opinion, this is one of the most important aspects in this case.

I agree it is such a stupid idea to contact MX inflight, what I think is more important is how it comes to trust MX regarding installation and correct rigging?

Last edited by David36; 15th Jan 2013 at 06:14.