PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines and morale
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2003, 18:58
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would seem that this thread, and the one "pilots against hours increase" have mated together. The posts are now becoming idebtical in opinion. Add the easyjet strike thread to them and there there is some troylism.
No doubt that this is a red hot topic, but what can be done about it? All this voting with your feet is not an option. They're all the same. A bit of continental style pilot power to oust the dim-wits who've created this, perhaps? At least then the correct feet will be walking!

IMHO it is the pilots and engineers who have the most longterm career attitude towards an airline, and thus the most stalwart attitude to its survival. Senior management do not seem to have that same longterm devotion. Shortterm profits and bonuses drive their passion. Somehow, though, pilots are branded as wanting to drive the airlines into fiancial ruin and thus lose their jobs. I can't quite fathom this. Daft idea to me.
If you read the application forms for airline recruitment, the qualifications and characteristcs required to join air-whoever, they demand 5* everything. Managament & team leadership skills, apptitude, flexibility, dynamisim, a host of scholarly achievemnts. Assuming they select people who meet all this, how is it they think we are all suicidal towards our careers. I can't think of any european airline that has gone bust because of the attitudes & actions of the crews, but I can think of many who have been saved from the brink by the attitude & actions of the crews. Pilot costs pale into insignificance compared to the c@*k -ups made my managment.

Anyway; do you think, bewteen all 3 threads, we've said it all an reached conscensus? Perhaps someone might like to start a post about solutions?????