PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training scotland
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2013, 23:43
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escosse sorry to hijack your thread,

If I may offer a tip regarding training that has worked for me and is extremely cost effective. I would like to give a caveat prior to imparting with my advice, I am not a book worm nor what is considered fully educated, nor could I ever be mistaken as an expert on mechanics or science, in fact throughout my career I have been described as being a “as thick as **** in the neck of a bottle” ,” a lump of wid” and as “dumb as a post” however there is one area that has probably trained me more than any other about flying (as much as actually flying the plane and perhaps even more) and this is the plethora of quality, easy to read and graphically simple books available. I am not taking about the ones that are given out or suggested as part of the PPl curriculum ( the “how to pass your PPL ones” or the ones about some old pilot bugger reliving his glory days but ones that really giving meaning to what your flight instructor is teaching you.
The following are some examples:

The Compleat Taildragger (although you may never fly a TD the theories are good to know)

Emergency Maneuver Training by Rich Stowell

Stick and Rudder ( The must know basics)

Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge by the FAA ( This one is essential reading and it costs a tenner)

The US Dept. of Transportation/ FAA publish many excellent books that cover all aspects of GA from flying, weather, mechanical and systems etc with easy to read and understand explanations with pictures included, 99% of the stuff in their books is applicable regardless of which country you are located in. And all four books above can be purchased for less than a half hour in a 152 with infinitely more training value

I find that reading those books makes me a far better pilot and the icing on the cake is the hobbs meter is not running while you are really learning.