PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why is a box more threatening than a bag?
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:02
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edi...perhaps I wasn't very explicit or clear.....A suitcase is a "box" with a handle.....there is very little difference between a Globetrotter fibreboard case and the industrial box with lid......in fact, it boils down to the handle.... the boxes can be had with hook-on lid and latches, so, if it's full of personal items. of standard suitcase dimensions and maybe has straps around it and a handle....common-sense would dictate it's a suitcase....just the same as kiddie's "trunki" cases are not standardtypical generic suitcases....but they're rightly treated as such (albeit they're carry-ons, technically.

I have no objection to using a different loading-point for non-standard packages (a suitcase IS a package!) it just gets me annoyed that all this ridiculous security charade is so badly administered......you should be annoyed too! It's YOUR livelihood that's affected.

Many people have stopped their foreign jaunts purely because the economics PLUS THE HASSLE make it not worthwhile.
I also refer you to the idiotic PC refusal to "risk-profile"potential security -risks.

Perhaps we should have a 2-tier system?

El-cheapo...minimal security, operator does their own screening, if Pax don't like their fellow travellers, they opt out and get another flight...sort of a 21st. Century Freddy Laker Skytrain.

System works for buses, coaches ,trains and ferries.....how much quicker, cheaper and more efficient would air-travel be, without all the current restrictions......I accept a huge relatively new "fear control"...sorry, Security industry would find itself back on the dole-queue overnight.

Premium Travel.. continue as now , with extensive checks, scrutiny and forfeiture of anything the staff decide you're not allowed...put up with the curent regime of delays, waiting around,etc but be assured that the system is all geared to your happiness and well-being.

Would it work? no Idea....but the present system is killing the industry.
Sometiing needs to be done if the industry wishes to regain some of it's pre-9/11 growth and pazazz.