PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holding point inside the runway strip?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2013, 21:22
7triple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again, back to the subject.

For example EGLL, runway 09L-27R, the runway strip is 300m large.

the cat II/III holding points are at ~137m.

If we check ICAO annex 14:

Objects on runway strips
Note.— See 9.9 for information regarding siting of equipment and installations on runway strips.

3.4.6 Recommendation.— An object situated on a runway strip which may endanger aeroplanes should be regarded as an obstacle and should, as far as practicable, be removed.

3.4.7 No fixed object, other than visual aids required for air navigation purposes and satisfying the relevant frangibility requirement in Chapter 5, shall be permitted on a runway strip:

a) within 77.5 m of the runway centre line of a precision approach runway category I, II or III where the code number is 4 and the code letter is F; or

b) within 60 m of the runway centre line of a precision approach runway category I, II or III where the code number is 3 or 4; or

c) within 45 m of the runway centre line of a precision approach runway category I where the code number is 1 or 2.

No mobile object shall be permitted on this part of the runway strip during the use of the runway for landing or take-off.

--------
If we look at the 3.4.7 a) no fixed object shall be permitted within 77.5 m of the runway centre line of a precision approach runway category I, II or III where the code number is 4 and the code letter is F right?
--------

And if we check ICAO Annex 10 it refers the "localizer sensitive area boundary" is at 137m.
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/1...sitivearea.jpg

So, if this is all correct, an aircraft can penetrate the runway strip till the ILS sensitive ares boundary in low visibility operations, or in other words, can a stop bar cat II/III be placed inside the runway strip, but aligned with the ILS sensitive area boundary?

According to ICAO, an aircraft standing in a holding position, is considered as a mobile or fixed object? Or is it specified?

Thanks in advance