PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Millionaire helicopter pilots to ferry emergency services...
Old 14th Jan 2013, 18:29
homonculus

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hughes 500

I share the concerns about a part time pilot who has never worked with the emergency services being let loose in a helicopter. He may be a competent pilot but the pressure on an individual who has to fly and navigate and task a mission is incredible. I respond to RTCs in a specially modified car after 20 years of intermittent police driving instruction. The medical care is a Doddle compared with the driving. The idea of flying has not surprisingly often crossed my mind but only for a millisecond as I don't think I nor anyone else could do it. Even an experienced HEMS pilot would struggle

However, as someone who is not an armchair commentator, my main concern is not seeing my favourite ship burning in a field but the hassle of dealing with this chap on scene. Every member of the emergency service has a designated role. I need every fireman to help me with trapped drivers and passengers not wander off to get unnecessary equipment out of a 500

Don't need him. Don't need his equipment. Don't need his passengers. Period