PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another 787 electrical/smoke incident (on ground)
Old 14th Jan 2013, 18:26
henra

Received 106 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by fdr
Now, OTOH, your concern on LI batteries has some merit. Personally, not too keen on them, blew the nose off a MIL jet I was flying once with a BTR, lots of metalwork and a new engine needed, so cannot say that I am a fan of these.
First of all my rant is not against the airframe itself. But the choice of battery of this size and technology makes me a bit nervous.
Even though my comment was maybe a bit over the top, I have personally seen 1lbs proper brand LiPo cells go off which were charged with a proper brand charger. It is quite the fireworks. And there wasn't any reason to expect it. Went suddenly boom during charging. Took 4 litres of water to put it out. Water works fine against urban myths btw. I wouldn't try it in a closed room though, it creates a bit of poisonous acid.
From all what I've seen Li Ion is pretty much identical in behaviour.

70 times the size of this fire I do not want to imagine. And especially not inaccessibly in a carbon fiber tube at 35kft. These cells have self ignition capability once charged beyond a certain level. Be it due to a failure in the charger or an uncaught manufaturing defect in a cell or a pre- existing damage due to handling or temperature exposure. (There is just a very thin plastic foil separating the layers - you damage the foil at any place - you light up your place big time).
You get the point. Too many variables which are hard to control and in case of failure there's not much of a mitigation plan.
Just good ol' luck might save your day.
And all that while there is an alternative with only limited drawbacks.
Just one word: Why?

Last edited by henra; 14th Jan 2013 at 18:36.