PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am want to become an airline pilot (Read me if you're 15 years old)
Old 14th Jan 2013, 18:22
Artie Fufkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting and somewhat contrasting views from rleungz and taxistaxing.

rleungz, lets just see what your view is after 5 years in the IT profession. There is a reason why there are a lot of people like taxistaxing (and myself a few years back) who took the advise of the nay sayers and went into sensible professions, and then realised by their late twenties that office bound jobs are incredibly dull and yearn for something a little more rewarding.

I was in an office bound profession for around 5 years before I said enough was enough. When I first made the change, all my friends and family commented on how I visibly brightened by the change of scene. Indeed, many of the older and senior guys who were in my old job took me aside and quietly told me how much they admired me for making the change "before its too late" and wished they'd done similar, despite the fact they were in the same income bracket as taxistaxing's bosses.

Of course it's not an easy path, and pure random luck will probably be the biggest factor in achieving success, but, nearly 9 years later, i for one am very glad I made the move.

It's usually the career changers who are most happy as pilots. Those who come into commercial aviation direct from school, Uni or the military (ie those who have not witnessed the hell that most people have to endure in the name of work) tend to be the biggest moaners.