PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Partial engine failure in C182 and emergency landing video.
Old 14th Jan 2013, 16:52
scott5077

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He did appear nervous as he took the runway with that vague statement about double checking everything and the head movements and other expressions, but that means he doesn't fly often to have that confident flow. So that is why at his level of flying he did just the right thing. Land straight ahead in open field, pushed past the fear factor, made a decision, stuck to it, flew the airplane perfectly with full stall at landing. Remember loss of control= loss of life. He walked away, with minor damage that insurance could fix. What’s wrong with that? Other options he had likewise could have resulted in minor damage. He could have landed on the alternate runway; he only had a second to make that call. Also to circle back was an option and probably what we might have seen if there were houses all around. (the engine was still running). But he had a big open field and a safe option. I have had fuel vaporization at 200 feet and the engine acted vary similar to his. (his could have been water) But I elected a very quick turn back and then to circle the airport as the engine still produced some power to maintain airspeed. My only recommendation to us aviators to learn from this would be to verbalize an engine failure contingency before t/o (silently if passenger present). Something like: “If complete engine failure or fire before 300 feet land (name direction of place), turn off fuel/battery, otherwise coordinated 90/270, declare emergency and land”. An emergency will never happen like you think it might, but at least it starts the mind moving in the right direction. As to those that think this was staged, your so naïve. (CFII/MEI/ATP/test pilot for 25 plus years),