PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confused with JAA/FAA ?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2013, 08:22
Touch'n'oops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hold both ATPLs. JAA known now as EASA is my choice.

EASA and FAA have two different approaches to licensing pilots.

EASA set the bar high and focus on making sure all pilots are equipt with the knowledge for their career. Whether the pilot goes straight into flying single engine props or flying B747 (Of course upon completion of type rating).

The FAA has to manage the SUPPLY AND DEMAND of pilots for the vital air transport system in US. Regonial airlines need cheap pilots, so the bar is set low to ensure there are a large number of pilots available, thus salaries can be set extremely low.
To get the initial FAA license you cut it from the back of a cereal box. Then your career starts at the bottom and you advance from there. Steadily getting into bigger and bigger aircraft. Along the way airlines will provide classes to give you the knowledge to progress over time, now with squeezed budgets this is dying out.
Btw, I did the FAA after EASA and the knowledge exam for the ATPL was done and dusted in an afternoon. What a joke it was.

The EASA system has a high failure rate. As the cadet only has two shots at each exam then it is a 6 or 12 month block out period. FAA you just keep trying till you tick all the boxes or collect enough coupons.

Outside of America it is often the EASA license that wins over the FAA. Case in point, look at the job requirements of Turkish Airlines.

If you want to work in India, where your licnse is from has nothing to with whether you get the job. A India pilot friend says it is based on how many management pilots you can find to kiss ass with. Do remember to save for your license upgrade to ATPL. I believe the current mandatory bribe is 5 Lakhs.