PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Aviation Magazine - New Format
Old 14th Jan 2013, 01:07
Gerard Frawley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@RU/16 - I was with Australian Aviation in 1999, and I can tell you our relations with Qantas PR at the time were at rock bottom. Our coverage of QF1 had nothing to do with 'bias' or being influenced by the non-existent Qantas upgrades and 'freebies'. Instead the decision on QF1 coverage was to wait for the BASI report to come out and report on that, in fairness to the crew and the airline. I raise QF32 to say we would likely cover a big accident/incident differently today, and to ask that you judge Australian Aviation on what we do today, and not what we did in 1999 (or 1989 for that matter).

Re upgrades and freebies - You're asking a guy who last time he interviewed Alan Joyce flew up to Sydney on a paid ticket on Virgin whether he receives free airline travel/upgrades/lounge access?

@Grogmonster - thanks, a fair appraisal is all I ask for if you have seen AA recently. The Register Update commentary is still in the mag, but the listing itself is online.

@BPA - noted. We do have a piece on Skytrans coming soon, and we do want to do more on regional and larger GA operators. Incidentally we have approached both Airnorth and Brindabella in recent months but they'd prefer not to be profiled at the moment.

@P51D, @Cap'n Bunghole, @RenegadeMan - I sincerely appreciate the feedback and support. I do think we have an important role in advocating for the industry, and highlighting its success stories.

@one25six - I think it's legitimate that GT's 30 plus years of covering the industry can inform his writing, particularly in his Contrails column. Further, his is not the only voice in AA. But as I've said previously, if you don't like his writing that is a legitimate view. I'm not here to convert anyone, just to ask for a fair hearing.

@Critical Reynolds No - I haven't worked out how to bring a bit more humour into AA, but I agree, On the Airbands is missed.

In general, thanks for the feedback all, I do take onboard the good and the bad.

Gerard Frawley