PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am want to become an airline pilot (Read me if you're 15 years old)
Old 13th Jan 2013, 20:27
BerksFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great advice. I second everything you have said as someone in a similar position. Very similar story to mine. When I was 15/16 my impatience was such that, despite always achieving in education, I wanted to leave, earn money and start training. Thankfully I was (reluctantly) talked out of it, ending up at university studying Physics.

When I look back now I think it was mad to be in such a rush. I always thought there was nothing out there for me other than to become a pilot. But as you grow and mature, other interests develop and you start to look at things more objectively. There are several things I am interested in doing now, and very few things I couldn't get into - all thanks to my degree. That would have been far from the case had I not been given some perspective by those around me. I'm not saying that my desire to become a pilot has diminished, but it is now kept in check with a dose of reality and maturity. And as rleungz says, with a well paid job now accessible, raising the finance to fly is a more realistic option should I decide to pursue it (which I wouldn't without guarantee of a job for the foreseeable future).

It shouldn't be forgotten that it is just a job, and that it isn't the only worthwhile occupation. Do you really want to spend 45/50 years doing the same thing? Do you want to have no other options should you lose your job or medical? It is this sort of perspective and maturity I would imagine is valued by airline employers anyway. Airlines nowadays desire more traditional management skills and commercial awareness than in the past, and these are the sort of things you can easily develop outside of flying. I'm sure that other experience would make for more interesting and varied mid-cruise conversation as well. So don't rush. Develop yourself before indebting yourself!

And well done on the Accenture gig rleungz!