PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2013, 19:09
Danny42C

Income Tax and Sealing Wax / And Cabbages and Kings

Union Jack,

Sounds like the old "left-handed screwdriver" and "striped paint !".......D.

Smudge,

Vamps had less than half the thrust of the Meteor (IIRC, 3200lb against 7000lb) but didn't weigh all that much less. And many thanks for your complimentary remarks......D.

millerscourt,

Dead right ! If only we could get him. Appeared a few nights ago on the box, did his NS and then went into BOAC. Showed him in a Britannia (?), was a F/O, I believe, became a union rep (GAPAN ?) and from there to politics..........D.

Geriaviator,

Thanks for the PM tip (have replied - am not an early riser !). Tiger story in next.........D.

Fareastdriver,

Ah, the dreaded "Wet Start" ! (one of my foxes shot, never mind). No asbestos sheets for us, tailplane had to take its chance. Flame often reached 50 ft behind the tailpipe, so ground crew had to clear all combustibles well away.

I like the idea of getting it to "sit up and beg" to mimic landing attitude, and can see the sense in it although it was never taught to us. Forward visibility from the cockpit to ground was even better than in a T7 - in fact, better than in a car (except in an "Isetta"!)

Now they tell us ! This is the first I've heard of this hazard. Dumb question: why would a flat trolley-acc cause an engine fire ? (I ask in all innocence). Apart from that, it was clearly a good idea, as any engine can blow up on starting and you kept all escape routes open until all were running smoothly.........D.

26er and DFCP,

Looked your Post up, and of course it's all there ! (pleads Short Term Memory Loss and advanced age). Your experience would fit well with a restart date of 1/1/49 for National Service.

We had one of the MQs at High Ercall from '64 to '67 when I was at Shawbury. As to right arms in plaster casts (any "G" effects?), "Gus" Walker flew everything at Strubby up to a Hunter with a fake right hand......D.

pzu,

Saving 'em up for a treat. Thanks !.......D.

My sincere regards to you all. Mind how you go ! Danny,

Last edited by Danny42C; 14th Jan 2013 at 00:31.