PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do? - pilots risking safety
Old 13th Jan 2013, 18:35
TheRobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been through this...the FAA investigations, flight department scandals, the wrong people being fired, depositions, called as an expert witness.

One of the reasons I kind of got out of aviation is a prevailing apathy and incompetence in the FAA...they either don't care, or they are too stupid to look at a flight plan and understand that a Beechjet can't go 2000 NM full of fuel and people with out something being off.

Then when it's brought to the CEOs attention, he doesn't care, he's got his boy in the cockpit and if the plane goes down, so be it. There is some denial here, there is some fraud here, it's a number of things.

But being the guy that has hammered risk mitigation for some time is like screaming in a stadium where everyone has padded logbooks, airlines are culling for pay to fly, buddies, pals, kids.

So it really comes down to making waves. Can you handle the pressure of other other screw up pilots hating you for being a whistleblower. Chances are no one will listen or care, which is more of a statement on humanity at present then the aviation industry.

After a while I just said 'Not in my flight department'. If someone wanted the facts I gave it to them. I tried to lead by example, and even that doesn't work. As in the end, the boss's just do what they want, outside of the rules, that's how they made the bucks, so they don't want to hear how their nephew can't fly an approach, they just want HIM at the controls.

So be it. If the world has delved into apathy, I can atleast say I tried. Up to you. Waive the safety banner, say nothing, or cave like everyone else.