PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beginning my PPL journey!
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2013, 15:31
Flyaways

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies Oxo, I meant 24 hours per 30 minute flying lesson.

I said 48 because when I was working it out I made it to 48 hours for an hours lesson.

I have to do 24 hours for 30 minutes which is 48 hours for an hours lesson. This is the same as being paid about £3 an hour which is about minimum wage for my age anyway.

Obviously the flying school is winning here because it doesn't cost them £150 for a lesson- this is the 'retail' price of the lesson. Probably costs then a few £10's less, although i'm not sure exactly.

Stickandrudderman- I visited them a few days ago to discuss it but they kinda signed me up any way. I've got my first 'volunteering' shift soon so I can see if I should actually start it. I've not signed anything yet so as far as i'm concerned i'm not actually working there yet so I can drop out at any time. I'm interested in being out on the field washing and helping to maintain the planes so if they base me in the restaurant all the time I may find myself a little part time job that would fund it better.

I had a part time job a while back and I earned just short of £200 a month working weekends. That would mean I could afford one 1h lesson a month. On this scheme, I could get two 30 mins (1h) lessons a month working weekends again. So it works out roughly the same when you consider the hours of the volunteering and hours of the p-t job.

riverrock83 thanks for that link. I'll do some maths to ensure i'm getting at least the minimum wage, if not i'll let them know and hopefully they may change it a bit

I'm not aware of any simulators so I don't think they do have one. I'll try and get as much experience out of it as possible with the ways you suggested. I'll post a few updates on here once in a while.