PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe - 6
Thread: FlyBe - 6
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2013, 14:11
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They seem to be getting it on all sides at LGW e.g. EZY on routes like IOM, and EI putting up stiff competition on Belfast City route. Could LGW be about to get the axe in the guise of charges are too high, and all but JER and GCI get axed?

Is Belfast City going to get linked with STN if MOLs visits to BHD in the last 2 consecutive Friday dont bear fruit?
I think it would work for FlyBe if they did go to Stansted. There's only two problems I can see why they don't already go there:
- There is a large Ryanair presence at Stansted
- Gatwick is much larger and offers more options for onward travel.

They have always been the reasons I've heard why BE have never served STN however, neither are really an issue nowadays. Stansted has more "scheduled European destinations than any other airport in the world" offering a better range of destinations for short-haul onward travel. Also, as FlyBe mainly flies domestic routes, Ryanair is not going to be of much competition to them, since they have very little intention to add UK domestic routes due to APD (hence the reason they closed STN-PIK). FlyBe now have increased competition at Gatwick with EasyJet, BA and Aer Lingus for which they have an unfair advantage as Gatwick charge more for the regional sized aircraft that FlyBe use.

I think that the new owner of Stansted may target FlyBe and I think that FlyBe will show more interest once it's out of BAA's hands. If MAG gets Stansted, I think it will be increasingly likely for FlyBe to make a move.

Last edited by FRatSTN; 13th Jan 2013 at 14:13.