PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 13th Jan 2013, 12:21
Peter PanPan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRT

I would stay clear of SRT in Bakersfield, CA.

Do not let their website deceive you, it does look pretty fancy with all the pictures and catchy lines but you will be dragging yourself to complete your training in a timely pace.
Stopped their briefly a few years ago for some training and was majorly disappointed: they only had one S300 serviceable then but not in good shape, in fact I didn't see it fly at at all and one 1973 C172 totally overpriced. In all fairness the facilities are not bad at all, they had decent classrooms for ground instruction right on the airfield (KBFL). You will most likely get a young CFI with little experience up to your Commercial, nothing unusual in that except for the fact that they advertise for highly skilled, specialized and experienced instructors with SAR / Law Enforcement / Military / HEMS experience. Those guys are indeed related to the company but you won't have them during basic training.
They always seem to be tight on cash so you will be pressured to make deposits and "pay as you fly" will be frowned upon.
Last but not least, Bakersfield is the ultimate armpit, it sits at the bottom of the San Joaquin valley and frequently suffers from the Los Angeles ' smog settling in the valley, reducing horizontal visibility quite drastically at times, once again slowing down your training.

How they could possibly achieve certification for M1 visa sponsoring is a mystery to me.

I agree with DauphinDude: SFDOC is biased.

There are numerous fantastic flight schools across the States and it's easy to find out which ones are authorized to conduct training for non US cititizens / residents.