PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2013, 19:08
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-BEEK

Hi Savoia,

Well now you are dabbling with another old war horse from my Spooner Aviation days being serial number 1037, CAA reg G-BEEK.

The first thing to say about the 1979 Biggin Hill picture is that apart from showing the BEEK machine, more interestingly is the background which shows the first ever Enstrom 280L 4 seat Hawk, but sadly the tail cone only. You'll note I 'gave' her the registration HAWK for the period of the Biggin Hill show only. The actual G-HAWK went elsewhere of course! The other interesting titbit is the two gentlemen alongside the Hawk, being my old boss, Roy Spooner and my Chief Flying Instructor, Wing Commander Chris Bartlett.

So to the dates. I did the first assembly flight on G-BEEK on October 25th 1977 and the CAA C of A air test on December 1st. She was a stablemate to an identical 280C Shark G-BEEL. My log book shows I demonstrated her to half a dozen potential buyers around the country until she was sold to Ken Smith of the Forfar Spud (sorry Potato Company) at Forfar Scotland.

Interestingly, I took G-BEEK to the UK Helicopter Championships at Epsom Racecourse in June 1978 where no less than a personage than Prince Charles flew in her with me on a demonstration flight. (I have the picture too) Believe it or not, HRH was a Championship Judge at that event.

More waffle: I once landed her at the Army barracks in the centre of Winchester (forgot their name now- Victoria Barracks possibly) then took her for static display at the 1978 Farnborough event ... 1st to 10th September. In September 1979 she was sold to a dear mate, Bob House of Uniweld, hence the changed reg to G-WELD. (I think) She did more ownership rounds until in May 1983, I re-purchased her for my new company Skyline Helicopters at WAP and registered her as G-WSKY and onward sold to Ed Terris.

Hope that's bored to tears all the reggie buffs out there. Bye for now. Dennis K.