PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another 787 electrical/smoke incident (on ground)
Old 12th Jan 2013, 16:24
787PIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
787 Troubles

The horrific onboard fire and the subsequent tragic crash of the UPS 744F flight in DXB was suspected to have been caused by a shipment of inactive container of Li-Ion batteries.
Most flight crews have watched in shock and awe the video of a burning laptop and its multiple re-ignitions onboard a training device during yearly emergency training syllabus.
No one has yet discovered an easy way to pull off the road and jump off a burning aircraft over the Pacific Ocean, cruising at FL410!
Although sophisticated battery technology and extreme electronics are not my area of expertise, I too was concerned when I learned the use of such dangerous power supplies or ideas such as liquid cooling of hi voltage cables in the Dreamliner or any other "330 ETOPS" aircraft with composite structure.
Most of us who grew old with Boeings and other jetliner manufacturers have experienced and understand "growing pains." But so far, 787 adolescent has been more of a nightmare than pleasant dreams!
Perhaps I should ask those gentlemen at the board room in Chicago; how is that outsourcing thing working out for you now?