PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - " FAA concerned about increase in manual handling errors"
Old 12th Jan 2013, 10:06
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more concerning issue is those myriad CAVOK days where you can see the field 30 miles out, you're on vectors for an ILS, and it would frankly be a shame to let the A/P do the flying instead of taking the opportunity to shake off a little of the rust that inevitably accumulates. And yet I rarely see anyone click off the autopilot and handfly, let alone switch off the F/Ds and practice their scan. When I do, I inevitably get that suspicious "I've never seen anyone do that before, are we even allowed to do that?" look from the F/O.
You must have read my mind! Friend of mine was flying a 737 into Sydney (Australia) on a CAVOK day and approaching the localiser on a visual approach. The AP was engaged. The F/O was PF and asked the captain if he minded if he (the F/O) switched off the AP to practice hand flying as he had a simulator test coming up. The captain said no problem - be my guest. But the F/O did not switch off the AP and they were getting near the ILS centre-line at 10 miles out. The captain asked when the F/O was going to switch off the AP. The F/O replied not yet because I need it to intercept the ILS localiser first. Eventually the F/O was persuaded to turn off the AP but he then left the FD on.

The captain said why not turn off the FD seeing as you have an instrument rating test coming up where you will be required to demonstrate a raw data ILS? The F/O said I may need the FD for a GA? The captain replied you don't need the aid of the FD for a GA under these conditions. Reluctantly the F/O switched off the FD and a perfectly normal ILS was hand flown without the aid of the FD.

Later the captain asked where the F/O had undergone his 737 type rating as he was obviously a bit twitchy about flying CAVOK on a visual hand flown approach. Turns out the third party simulator provider taught full automatics from the very first simulator session.