PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EMS Very Slow approach - why?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2013, 09:43
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
I am hardly advocating a 'let's just go for it' technique but neither am I advocating a very steep and slow approach when it is not required.

Early posters seemed hard over that the only way to get into a field site safely was to make a very slow and steep (bordering on vertical) approach because that was the only way to spot wires.

I took issue with that because it isn't true - but because I mentioned NI and tactical approaches, some seem to believe I am always quickstopping into fields without a care in the world when nothing could be further from the truth.

I have done rather a lot of field landings in 30 years, day and night - (tactically, on training and on SAROPs) and have managed not to hit a wire in that time - luck? I don't think so. A decent recce backed up with a good scan on finals seems to have worked pretty well so far - sometimes the obstructions and wires do force a steep approach but when they don't I fly a normal angle and speed.

Sasless - of course you did the HAI course before you went flying - not!

How many do the US military put through that course?

The UK mil are generally not in that habit of paying other people to provide information we already know and train for.