PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - " FAA concerned about increase in manual handling errors"
Old 12th Jan 2013, 09:06
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Therein lies the rub, folks. Unless regulators are willing to compel airlines to do this, then it's all just fancy words.

Never a truer word. Some time ago I underwent a simulator check by a flight ops inspector as part of my annual instructor check. I hand flew the ILS and a couple of circuits. At the de-brief he wanted to know why I hand flew and I told him because I enjoy it and that was necessary to avoid being automation dependant. He was quite polite but also firm that in his opinion the automatics should be utilised fully on all sequences.

His background? Turns out he was a former 737 captain for a major domestic airline and his whole career had been an airline pilot from being a cadet. That airline pushed automatics right from the first type rating.

This introduced a breed of pilots totally addicted to button pushing because of company policy. . Of course, individual flight ops inspectors have their own opinions based upon their previous flying experience but few have the desire to buck the system and recommend that hand flying be practiced on line. Nothing will change.