PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dutch TV reports on 'Ryanair pilots denominated alarm over safety'
Old 12th Jan 2013, 08:37
1stspotter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a short preview of the TV programme broadcasted last night at Spanish channel LaSexta. The showed an anonymous pilot of Ryanair. The preview also showed a letter which was not shown in the KRO and WDR programmes.

It also shows some customer complains.

Also Mr. Cullen of IALPA was interviewed.

Without watching the whole programme this seems to me more a sensational programme like UK scandal press than a serious, professional made programme. Alone the sensational background music shows the true intention of the programme.

the Ryanair letter says:
The Voyage Report (VR) indicated you were the commander of the ... FR. The VR shows that you carried xxx kg in excess of FPL/Block fuel without providing any explaination for the additional fuel carried.

Ops manual part A 8.1.7.8.6 sets out approved procedures for the uplift and usage of fuel.
Where departure fuel in more than 300 kg in excess of flight plan fuel an explaination for the uplift shall be recordered on the Voyage Report.

In accordance with the requirements of Operations Manual Part A you have to explain your decision to carry fuel in excess.

The pilot explains that the above letter is said to be added to the personal file of the pilot.

This is also written in the same letter. See a screendump of the letter here
http://s14.postimage.org/6ry3fzult/c...sonal_file.jpg

I can imagine if a pilot is working as a contractor (which >70% of the pilots is) a letter in your personal file is not something 'nice'

On the other hand: I understand that writing an explaination on the VR for taking over 300 kg like 'due to weather' is okay and no questions are asked.

According to this article the programme also mentioned the fuel league
Un comandante de Ryanair: «Te presionan y te recuerdan que estás quemando demasiado combustible» - ABC.es

I have not seen the complete programme.
preview :
Ryanair: al límite - laSexta

complete programme here
La Sexta - Vídeos de Equipo de Investigación TV - 11 de Enero de 2013

Last edited by 1stspotter; 12th Jan 2013 at 11:19.