PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My folks vs Me - need your advice!
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2013, 00:59
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ross?

There are numerous options aside from parents funding or supporting the cost of flying, many have been suggested already.

I wonder if somewhat fresh out of Uni, you might be thinking that you MUST do this now. Many of us have worked a numerous jobs, saving money to fund flying. After I'd paid my way, at almost 27 & married with 2 kids on gaining my CPL, my mum told me she had the cash set aside for me to learn to fly when I was 18.

Long story short, at 18 I'd have been too interested in the pub and not applied myself as I did when I had family responsibilities. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd not change a thing.

It seems to me that you have the benefit of being able to be employed in the industry whilst you save. This will give you benefits and insights that many of us didn't get.

I disagree with the ney-sayers. Whilst the good old days of secure career flying might not be around anymore, I've been employed with the one company for close to 18 years. I'd like more pay but I don't think I'm on a bad wicket, and for the most part, I'm paid to go to work and have a good time.

Good luck and finally, your life is yours. Respectfully tell your folks you have to make your own decisions and live by them. Probably as your folks did before you were born.

Last edited by Capt Claret; 12th Jan 2013 at 01:01.