PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Air Squadron Student hours - JAR/EASA UK PPL
Old 12th Jan 2013, 00:42
U563

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOJM,

I'm in a similar position to you, trying to use my mostly UAS hours, combined with fulfilling the remaining requirements at a civilian school, to get my PPL under EASA. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get any clarity on the subject.

The flying school were initially encouraged after speaking to someone at the CAA who interpreted CAP804 as implying that the hours would count, but that there would be no further exemptions (which made sense). Then, I was told that another student in a similar position ran into some problems having submitted his completed application, along with his stamped orange UAS logbook (I am yet to meet the student, so this is anecdotal and I don't have much detail). I am told he is now applying again but under the JAR rules, which you can do apparently...if...

"Training commenced in accordance with JAR-FCL will be fully credited for the issue of an EASA licence, provided that the training and testing were completed by 8 April 2016 at the latest."

Could it be argued that your training commenced under JAR? I might have a go, since my UAS hours are 3-4 years old, and I have done some sporadic civvie training at various times in the interim.

Orangaphobia...I'm encouraged that you didn't have any trouble. I wonder if it all came down to sending the UAS hours in a civilian logbook?

I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences, it will be a shame if it comes down to nppl->lapl-->ppl. But it sounds like there is hope!

On another note - SP6, are most of the RAF flying clubs keen for new members (even civilian/ex-UAS) or is it specific to your area? I might contact my local club having read your posts, I'd always assumed it was current serving members only