PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - " FAA concerned about increase in manual handling errors"
Old 11th Jan 2013, 22:52
Prober

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hands ON

How right Croozin is (#16). In many cases it never happens and the nearer retirement looms, the more one hopes it never does. I had the misfortune to experience an engine failure followed by an APU glitch causing total screen loss and thus a single engine NPA on stand-by instruments – and a G/A just for good measure. My previous 8k or so hours had been on a steam driven (albeit high performance) aircraft which involved a great deal of hand flying, so it was no big deal. I was able to take a glance at the right hand seat and was rather disturbed to see a certain degree of – “disengagement?” and fear that this is the future. If hand flying is actively discouraged (and I agree with “obliged” rather than “encouraged”), then we might as well all go home and leave it to the automatics – but I do not think that there will be many passengers to pay for the bean counters’ bonus. For heaven’s sake, are you a PILOT?