PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2013, 22:49
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
DFCP, that would be Franz von Werra.

The original "The One That Got Away" although some of our younger members might be more familiar with that being the title of a song by various singers .....

So far as the writing off of stores is concerned, I really can't compete with some of the preceding tales. I do recall, however, hearing the story of the young Lieutenant commanding one of the final group of post-war XE-Craft midget submarines, whose rather expensive binoculars had unfortunately gone missing without a trace.

After some deliberation, the Form S126 (Loss of Stores) submitted to the depot ship described how the boat, which had of course no fin as such, was being surfaced in a very rough sea and and an exceptionally large wave had swept the binoculars away from round the skipper's neck.

He was subsequently summoned on board the submarine depot ship to see the Captain (SM) of the squadron, and invited to expand on the circumstances of the loss:

Captain (SM): Was it a very large wave?
Skipper: Oh yes, Sir - a very large wave.
Captain (SM): Was it a very, very large wave?
Skipper: Oh yes, Sir - a very, very large wave?
Captain (SM): Was it definitely one of the largest waves you've ever seen?
Skipper: Oh yes, Sir - definitely one of the largest waves I've ever seen .
Captain (SM): Well, X, for once I really have to agree with you. It must have been a really enormous wave - it washed your bloody binoculars right into the depot ship wardroom!

Jack