PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2013, 21:35
SAROSKEETERMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al Khatt.

Hello Brakedwell. I can add a little bit more to your post 294 about the couple who had started growing vegetables at Al Khatt. By 1966 at least there was a regular weekly(?) flight to a strip(still no roads) near there, to collect veg' for use in the 'cookhouses' at Sharjah. All I knew about the place was that it was 'an experiment' to see if they could continue to grow crops there. Obviously they were still making a good job of it, five years after your time. On a flight there as a PAX(11.3.66) I took some colour slides of XM959 on the strip being loaded with the produce from a trailer being towed by a dark blue Fordson tractor, pretty modern equipment eh! Can't remember how far the strip was from the 'farm' but it couldn't have been too far(same T.O. Scouts strip as as been mentioned in the thread?) I have an aerial photo of a compound with rows of crops in it, which may have been taken as we were approaching the strip.
I have a question to ask you too. On another of my PAX flights(this time in XM291 on27.4.66) In my logbook I note that we "flew to Dibba and return, via Al Khatt(approach) landed at a strip near Ras-al-Khaima(a road by all appearences") On the way back we overflew the following strips, Khiba(is that right?) Masafi and Manama. I have a photo of Masafi which appears to have a ravine at one end and a steep slope at the other and has moutainous terrain all around. Indeed I noted that it was "300yds, no undershoot, no overshoot." Did you ever land there? Also, I know the TwinPin could get in on unprepared landing sites but how many "official strips" do you think there were in the T.O. States/Oman?

Navstar1, were you the nav' on either of these two trips?