PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Fire on short final
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2013, 16:43
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
So glad to see common sense here amongst the "heavy" pilots.

The phrase " Land ASAP" came to mind reading first post, then another pilot calls that to our attention.

I realize that at 2 or 3 miles out the tower could have to respond very quickly. But that's still a minute or minute and a half to have the runway cleared. And I am sure that any Captain on/near the runway would expedite things.

It's a contrived situation, IMHO.

In my own experience, the tower bugged me about an airliner on long final as I turned base leg with no motor running and wingie had to remind tower I couldn't go around - 1968. Second one was 15 years later and had severe stuctural damage. Had declared emergency 10 - 15 minutes before. Nevertheless, on base leg tower advises about a C-141 on final. GASP!!! I had to tell them I had my hands full and was gonna land ASAP. The box you see in the HUD at left is my radar locking on but the tgt is off the field of view, so box with "x". Had entire right leading edge flap folded up at about 60 degrees. Other than that, a pleasant day!!

http://www.sluf.org/warbirds/lef-landing.m4v

I salute the professional pilots here for unaminous concurrence about landing ASAP!!