PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I get a copy of my saved-on-AOL emails (not saved on my computer)
Old 11th Jan 2013, 15:09
brockenspectre

Rainbow Chaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink How do I get a copy of my saved-on-AOL emails (not saved on my computer)

Hi all

Interesting issue (well, interesting to me!).

I have been with AOL for donkeys years and, yes, I know I should probably have moved with the times but for one reason or another I haven't.

In the UK AOL has changed hands and is now part of the Carphone Warehouse/TalkTalk empire, but run as a separate piece of it.

Traditionally, with an AOL email account there are two options for storing your mail:

1. On your computer (the PFC)
2. On AOL ("saved-on-AOL")

In the beginning and for many years I used the PFC route and had a copy of the "organize" [sic] folder on my computer's desktop. A couple of computer failures, however, led me to decide to store my AOL emails not via 1. but via 2., i.e., my emails are all "saved-on-AOL".

As far as I am/was aware, AOL emails are only ever openable via an AOL browser.

This past festive season saw the flooding in UK disrupt the AOL service for a while and it occurred to me that I don't have a separate USB-type backup of my emails... I rely on AOL/TalkTalk to keep my data on their servers all tickety-boo. It thus also occurred to me that I am an idiot

This afternoon, then, I decided to resolve this idiocy but I have just spent about an hour talking to two different bods at AOL's "Tech Help" in ?India? to no avail. Both agents were pleasant and did their best to help but once I had confirmed that my emails are not in the PFC but saved-on-AOL, both said that they have no knowledge of how I can obtain a copy of them. One went so far as to suggest I should just open every single email and copy/paste the contents into a Word document or Excel spreadsheet!!!

The level of knowledge was staggeringly appalling.

ANYWAY

My question is, does anyone know how I can make a USB/backup copy of my saved-on-AOL emails?

Thank you in advance to any/each/all who help!!