PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2013, 14:58
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Sort of rhetorical questions. How many men were like these?
Quite a few. In the early 1950s my late father employed several Germans ('Theo', ex-Luftwaffe was asked by our cockney foreman whether he was "One of the bleeders wot bombed arr 'ahse" - he wasn't though!). Rudi and Big Fritz often used to baby sit for some extra dosh; the only embarrassing situation being when we were watching "The Valiant Years" when the programme was about the HJ. "It vasn't like der Boy Scouts", he said, "Ve HAD to join". 'Little Fritz' I never knew (he wasn't popular with the others); he went back to Berlin but found himself on the wrong side of the wall. When we received a letter from East Germany asking for a job so that he could get out, my father informed the authorities and one day some spook turned up announced at the kitchen window for a chat....

The Italians were great fun. Toni, Vince, Jerry and Rene always had happy smiles. One day my father asked "Do you have Mafia in Oliveto Citra (their village)?". Poor old Toni nearly had a heart attack before muttering "Si, plenty Mafia". One of them had been a Vatican Guard; just standing around the Vatican with a pike all day, hardly very difficult. When asked why he'd given up such a cushy job, he replied "Wassa very heavy pike-a!". Jerry went down to St Merryn to help with the hay making one year and brightened up considerably when he saw the holidaymakers "Much jig-a-jig here!", he smilingly announced.

In those days (mid-to-late 1950s), down in Somerset there were lots of ex-POWs who'd stayed on to work on farms. A few romany gypsies (who were never any problem) and the odd Sikh travelling salesman. The only orientals were those who worked in the Little East restaurant in Taunton, but I don't recall having seen any people who would have been described as 'negroes' in those days, even though Jamaican immigrants had arrived in England in the late '40s. 'Racism' just didn't exist, everyone seemed to tolerate one another quite happily.

Sorry for the drift, but it was an interesting time - and neither was there any friction between the 'ex-enemy' and the RAF personnel at the aerodrome.

Last edited by BEagle; 11th Jan 2013 at 15:00.