PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2013, 14:37
SecondDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More short-term thinking in regards of transport in N.I. At the moment BFS seems stuck in the middle of nowhere but geographicly it has the potenial to be a transport hub for N.I. With some road improvements, Enniskillen, Omagh, Cookstown, Magherafelt and Larne- Ballyclare express hourly buses. Trains from Derry and Ballymena to Belfast stopping at BFS, a new route from Carrick to Portadown could stop there as well as a dedecated 3 per hour Antrim-BFS-Belfast service. Unlike present Translink policy, all these services would have 5/10 min connections. How hard is building 800m of double track over flat farmland? and how much would it cost? Train passenger numbers would be boasted by commuters from Crumlin and Glenavy. At Antrim station there is already a spare platform and spur. If 37.5 BILLION taxpayer money can be found for rail projects in England, why cant 50 million not be found for this? Unless a runway extension at city which can accomodate west coast America flights is built, BFS will remain essential to aviation in N.I.
Agree completely! The problem now is with noone wanting to spend money. The need now is to build infrastructure for the future, the government needs to take a hit to provide long term gain!

As some of the people further back the thread have pointed out, even if the extension at city goes ahead, it can never be the main airport for the country because of its geographical and environmental limitations. It can only be Aldergrove. I think the road access from the M2 is essential and a train link too.

It is like the MD up there has been saying, an aviation strategy for NI has to be created to ensure we don't just lose everything to Dublin, the lord knows they have enough advantages already!