PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheffield City Airport Petition
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2013, 12:10
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone who has the money, and by all accounts commercial awareness, is interested in taking over the site.
Someone who has the money, and by all accounts commercial awareness has already taken over CVT. By the time he did this, very few of us were expecting anything on that front. That still hasn't happened. He clearly had a far bigger interest in the land surrounding it, and that went to planning meetings before Christmas.

You are right in that my comments are indeed speculation, I do not have any rumours to serve up. However, they are based on a reasonable assessment of the evidence.

All we have as rumour right now is one potential interested party, no deal on the table, no business plan with which to turn that deal into a thriving, viable airport.

Im not twisting anything, that quote is open to interpretation. I'm not an accountant, but I would presume that an accountant would need to see at least a reasonable number of financial reports to make a judgement
Fair enough. My point was that I was applying cold financial logic, as opposed to vain hope. For the sake of clarity, no I am not an accountant either, my interest is in flight routes, which as I said above need to make commercial sense, otherwise they don't happen (unless there are other factors to distort the market - e.g. PSOs, which are not relevant here).

Without commercial routes, there is no case for this airport beyond that which already could have been exploited in the 6 years after commercial flights stopped.

The rest doesn't warrant the effort of a reply.
Well you can ignore or reply to whatever you choose. However the point remains (in the absence of any evidence to the contrary) that whatever Peel's motives may or may not have been, the case for an commercially viable airport on this site remains weak.

I can understand the local anger and suspicion about the terms of the original deal. However, even if dubious intentions were proven - in a public inquiry, a court of law or elsewhere, none of this would go any further towards making the airport viable. Public Inquiries are very good at taking up time, but they don't create viable business plans.

In the meantime, bear in mind that Peel still had to build the airport and run it at a loss for 10 years, so they didn't just "get" the land for £1.