PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - " FAA concerned about increase in manual handling errors"
Old 11th Jan 2013, 12:06
Armchairflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My humble point was indeed that simply focusing on everyday practice in the daily work environment instead of more fancy settings seems like a useful and realistic approach to me. Of course one can ask for top-gun line pilots who (after grueling selection and hypertough training) could safely pick up handkerchiefs with their wingtip (inverted in case of good weather), hand-fly a CAT III approach in a snowstorm on one engine and standby instrumens, and ace the most challenging sim exercises blindfolded, one-handed, and with ping-pong balls thrown at them while the check pilot belts out "You’ve lost that lovin’ feelin’". But somehow I feel that concentrating on just being at ease with normal manual flying in day-to-day operations whenever the situation permits without nibbling away at any safety margins is the more promising approach.

Of course, a bit more impetus in this direction (as Gretchenfrage put it: "oblige" instead of "recommend") might indeed be necessary to realize any potential benefits, otherwise it will partly remain "strictly forbidden" in favor of bottom line and bonuses for the company's next quarterly report.

Last edited by Armchairflyer; 11th Jan 2013 at 12:22.