PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MEDALS AND CLASPS
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2013, 10:23
Dunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if that series is available in the net or to buy?
A quick search on Google confirms that it is and that Zavvi.com are offering the complete "Ultimate Restored Collection" at £14.95 delivered. I'd put the link in but suspect that I have already overstepped PPRuNe's line in the sand. In a grovelling defence I would simply say that this series from 1973 has never been surpassed in the video coverage of WWII from beginning to end. If you haven't yet seen it, get it!
A bit late to mention this, but this version, which is also available on Blu Ray, as well as DVD, suffers from cropping issues. Better to get the 'Special Collectors Edition' on DVD, like mine, which I have had since its release in 2003.

Also worth getting is The Great War, the forerunner of the above, and set the format for it, with interviews of survivors and footage of the events. Additionally, WW1 in Colour is well worth watching, don't bother with WWII in Colour though, quite a different thing altogether.

Straying further off topic, I wonder why the BBC do not show the latter in the lead up to November 11th. There appears to be quite a sizeable number of people who have no idea about WW1, and even less interest in learning about it. Do they even teach this at school any more?