PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can profound deaf become a pilot thought can speak well
Old 11th Jan 2013, 09:23
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but you should know that obtaining a flying licence or any sort involves a lot of writing
It involves virtually zero writing. A load of reading and drawing lines with a heavy pencil but thats about it.

Documents for Download | Medical | Personal Licences and Training

Is the current standards

And

Audio - JAR Class 1 Hearing Standards | Medical | Personal Licences and Training

For the hearing intial standards.

Unfortaunately they won't give you an intial medical Class 1 which stops you in your tracks for commercial training if you are below that.

Now you might get to know of working pilots who won't meet those limits. After you have your intial medical you get a dispensation that you can prove that you can hear enough on the flight deck. Which basically means you just go and talk to an examinor on the intercom in flight and they sign you off as functional. To be honest the volume you can drive the intercoms up to I would be suprised if anyone would fail this test unless they suffered a complete failure of hearing.

Now there is nothing stopping you being able to fly. You can go flying none radio VFR but a professional career I really don't think will be an option. I would think you would have no problem getting a class 2 but radio is going to be a problem and limit you while solo flying to none radio. There is also microlights to have a look at and also gliding( which to be honest is the most pure form of aviation)

Your first port of call should be that Deaf pilots association they will have AME's who know the rules and also know which is the best place for you to go and train.

Unfortunately most aviation work requires you to be able to communicate either via a radio or a phone.

Maybe another thing to have a look at is a performance engineer. These folk make up the charts which limit the aircraft to keep it safe.